Harriet F. Rees House Relocation
Landmark House Moved to Make Way for McCormick Place Entertainment District
As part of the new McCormick Place Entertainment District Plan, MIA was architect to the Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority for the relocation of the historic, 1888 Harriet F. Rees House and Coach House. The National Register property, designed by Cobb & Frost and located just south of the Prairie Avenue Historic District, is one of the few remaining residences on the once fashionable Prairie Avenue and is safeguarded through a Preservation Easement held by Landmarks Illinois.
The team conducted a site investigation to document the construction of both structures and a detailed survey of the existing basements, replicating at the new site the spaces and architectural finishes that were not moved. The project included interior remodeling, exterior construction, MEP connections, and repair to those portions of the structure modified or dismantled as part of the relocation. To view the one and one-half block move from November, 2014, click on one of these links: http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2014/11/17/watch-the-rees-houses-entire-two-day-move-in-just-two-minutes.php
Photo courtesy of Wolfe House Movers, LLC