Dearborn Observatory
Dearborn Observatory Entrance

Northwestern University: Dearborn Observatory
University Treasure Restored

The historic observatory is undergoing a complete exterior restoration including limestone repairs, cleaning and tuckpointing (matching the original bead joint); slate and copper roof replacements; major repairs to the exterior steel and wrought iron observatory walkway; and wood window/art glass restoration.

In 1887, the Chicago Astronomical Society in affiliation with Northwestern University moved the telescope including the famed 1860s lens from the University of Chicago to Northwestern's Evanston campus. The architecture firm of Cobb & Frost designed the Richardsonian Romanesque style building which opened in 1889. Originally located at the edge of Lake Michigan, approximately 100 yards northwest of the current location, Dearborn Observatory was moved in 1939 to make way for the Technological Institute. The observatory dome was replaced in 1997. The observatory is open for public viewing Fridays 8-10 pm:

Structural Consultant: The Structural Group, LLC

General/Mason: Berglund Construction
Roofing: Hanson Roofing
Painting: Ascher Brothers
Steel Restoration: Corsetti Steel
Art Glass Restoration: Daprato Rigali Studios

Photos: Leslie Schwartz