Northwestern University: Swift Hall, Swift Hall Annex and
Exterior Restoration and Accessibility Improvements
MIA conducted an intensive survey of window restoration and limited replacement. Additionally, the project included limestone restoration, tuckpointing, shelf angle replacement and cleaning of the main building and two wings. The exterior restoration project extended over 5 years. Accessibility upgrades included installation of an interior lift and a new elevator within an existing shaft. Swift Hall, designed by George Maher, was completed in 1909. The Annex addition and the Cresap Laboratory addition were both designed by Holabird and Root and were completed in 1947 and 1949 respectively. The Evanston Landmark building was used by the US Navy during WWII.
The restoration received the 2014 City of Evanston Preservation & Design Award for Proper Rehabilitation/Restoration.