The Fortnightly of Chicago
Historic Structures Report and Sensitive Modernization
The Georgian Revival style mansion was designed by Charles McKim and built for Bryan Lathrop in 1891‐92 with additions in 1901, 1922, and 1965. It has served as the home of The Fortnightly of Chicago since 1922 and is a Chicago Landmark and listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The Historic Structures Report provided the basis for long‐range planning; the creation of a master plan for capital and maintenance expenditures; and identified restoration projects within the house. MIA was responsible for the design of several of the recommendations identified in the report, including the replacement of antiquated building systems and the discreet introduction of climate control.
The Fortnightly of Chicago was a recipient of a 2014 Richard Driehaus Foundation Preservation Award for Stewardship.
Photo: The Fortnightly of Chicago